十隻手指 各有寓意

首屈一「指」 (二之一)

 人的身體構造非常奇妙,簡單如我們的十隻指頭,各有長短,各施其職,巧奪天工。在中國文化裡,手指象徵著靈活、變通和成功。英文裡也有很多關於手指的說法,現舉例說明如下:

 Be all fingers and thumbs:笨手笨腳
 John gets very nervous today and he is all fingers and thumbs.
 約翰今天非常緊張,做事笨手笨腳。

 Burn your fingers:蒙受損失/「損手」
 My uncle burns his fingers when he is tempted by get-rich-quick schemes.
 我的叔叔被那個賺快錢的計劃吸引而招致「損手」。

 Have a finger in every pie:好管閒事
 My mother always wants to have a finger in the pie.
 我的媽媽總是好管閒事。

 Have your fingers in the till:偷竊
 Peter had his fingers in the till, that's why he lost his job.
 難怪彼得失業了,因為他偷竊。

 Lay a finger on:觸碰
 My supervisor said: "If a boy lays a finger on you, you have to scream."
 我的上司說:「假如有男孩觸碰你,必須大聲呼救。」

 Point the finger:指控
 Don't point the finger at me! I didn't take the purse.
 不要指控我!我沒有拿你的銀包。

 Work your fingers to the bone:勤勞工作
 My father works his fingers to the bone as a breadwinner.
 作為一家之主,我的父親勤勞工作。


香港專業進修學校語言傳意學部講師 廖尹彤、鍾麗珊

來源 : http://paper.wenweipo.com

這個網誌中的熱門文章